Schedule of Weekly Services
Traditional Liturgical Worship
Holy Eucharist: 11:00 a.m.
Evening Prayer: 6:30 p.m.
Bible Study 7:00 p.m.
A Short History of Saint Ann Chapel
St. Ann Chapel was built in 1951 by Clare Boothe Luce (1903-1987), wife of Time magazine founder Henry Luce. Clare Luce was editor at Vanity Fair magazine, wrote the screenplay, The Women (1936), and the book, Europe in the Spring (1940), was war correspondent for Life magazine, and was Connecticut’s first female Congresswoman (1943-1947). She was ambassador to Italy (1953-1956) and awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1983.
Clare Boothe Luce’s daughter, Ann Clare Brokaw, died in a tragic automobile accident while attending Stanford University in 1944. Clare Boothe Luce was a devout Catholic, and in memory of her daughter, she built St. Ann Chapel. For those unfamiliar with the hagiography of the Catholic and Anglican churches, Ann is traditionally recognized as the name Mary’s mother, and hence the maternal Grandmother of Jesus.
In the late eighties and nineties, and the Newman Center moved to Stanford University. The Diocese of San Jose sold the property in 1998, and the old Newman Center became a private residence. The chapel was acquired by the Henry Luce Foundation, which, in April 2003, sold the chapel to the Anglican Province of Christ the King (APCK). Thus began the historic revival.
The APCK restored the sanctuary to the original configuration of Luce and Raney. It refurbished the chapel and landscaped the gardens, and St. Ann Chapel was reborn. Today the choir fills the chapel with soaring song. With the ancient, magnificent Anglican liturgy, the stunning artistic setting, and the divine music, St. Ann Chapel is once more a holy place of worship and a fitting memorial to Ann Clare Brokaw.
A Short History of the Anglican Province of Christ the King
In the aftermath of World War II, attacks upon the Christian faith concerned many Episcopalians. These attacks peaked in the 1976 General Convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota, when the Episcopal Church made sweeping changes, abandoning the liturgy, spirituality, and apostolic faith of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer. They allowed clergy to break their vows and renounce the doctrines and disciplines of the apostolic Church.
Inspired by the Holy Spirit, Episcopalian clergy and laity gathered in 1977 in St. Louis, Missouri. They issued the Affirmation of St. Louis, confirming orthodox Christianity. With the authority of the Affirmation, six parishes formed the Anglican Province of Christ the King, electing the Rev. Robert Sherwood Morse, rector of St. Peter’s, Oakland, as bishop. Father Morse was consecrated to the episcopacy by the requisite three bishops on January 28, 1978. The Rt. Rev. Albert A. Chambers, retired Episcopal Bishop of Springfield, Illinois, served as chief consecrator.
The Province of Christ the King has grown to three dioceses, maintaining a national cathedral in Georgetown, Washington D.C and offices in San Francisco, Tulsa, and Washington D.C. In 1979, the Province of Christ the King established Saint Joseph of Arimathea Anglican Theological College in Berkeley, California. The Province embodies the historic Anglican faith that produced the King James Bible, writers such as William Shakespeare, T.S. Eliot, C.S. Lewis, and Dorothy Sayers, eleven U.S. presidents and most of our nation’s founding fathers.